Keep up to date with the latest news on the Mini-Flyers on the Youth Facebook page.
Our original ‘Minis’ are all grown up now and so it is pleasing to announce that after a long break, the Club restarted its Mini-Flyers rides in October 2022.
The aims of the section are to introduce young, competent riders (up to 12/13) to club riding within a group on open roads and to put into practice the skills and techniques that might have been developed at the club’s Friday night coaching sessions at PHGS.
The rides are a club run, with parents riding with their children and both experiencing the buzz of riding in a group. The rides are not coaching sessions.
The rides happen on a Saturday, meeting at the Buttercross in Otley Market at 9.00am. The distances will vary from 16 to 35 miles and will include a cafe stop. The pace of the rides will be dictated by the riders themselves, with the aim of keeping riding together in a group.
As stated above the rides are parent and child rides, all children must be accompanied by a parent on all of the rides. All riders need to wear helmets and dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
How do I get involved?
• All Mini-Flyer rides will be set up on the club website ride booking system.
• This group is for young capable riders up to the age of 12yr olds with a parent or carer.
• You need to be an Otley Cycle Club member and must book to join the ride on the system.
• You need to be competent to ride on open roads in a group.
What do I do on the day?
• •Meet at the Buttercross (map) in the centre of Otley for 9.00am on Saturday.
• Bring a working bicycle and spare inner tube for each of you.
• Bring a drink.
• Wear a cycle helmet (compulsory).
• Wear suitable cycling clothing for the weather conditions.
• Bring some café money.
• We recommend that you carry ICE details.
Otley Mini-Flyers get involved in grass track racing at the West Riding Track League in Roundhay Park, the White Rose Youth League across Yorkshire and various events throughout the year organised by the British Schools Cycling Association (BSCA) including cyclocross, roller racing, circuit racing, mountain bike racing and hill climbs.
If you are looking for a fantastic opportunity to spend time with your children and ride your bike at the same time, this is for you.